Saturday, March 3, 2012

Paulaner Bräuhaus Jakarta


Mom's birthday was celebrated at Paulaner Bräuhaus, located in the upper upscale East Mall, Grand Indonesia Shopping Town. It's also a part of Hotel Indonesia Kempinski Jakarta. 

A sophisticated Bavarian ambiance and dominated with wooden furniture.

Paulaner Bräuhaus used to have microbrewery but at this moment, they are not brewing nor serving until further notice. I heard that actually the Paulaner beers, either the light or dark tasted very good because the beers are tapped fresh and with lots of fizz.

As recommended by the waiter, we had:

Paulaner platter  - Rp. 250.000
Smoked pork chop (Kassler), 1 Thüringer sausage (Thüringer Wurst), Meatloaf (Leberkäse), 2 Vienna Sausages (Wiener Würstchen), 2 Nuremberger sausages (Nürnberger Wurst) and crispy pork knuckle (Schweinshaxe) served with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes (Kartoffelpüree).
It's definitely more than enough for two persons. The smoked pork chop was tender, the sausages were meaty and totally addictive, the meatloaf was flavorful, the pork knuckle was really succulent with wonderful crispy skin, the sauerkraut was perfect, not too sour nor too bland, and the mashed potatoes, it's delectable! The best mashed potatoes I've ever eaten in Jakarta. It's creamy, fluffy, and so smooth that gave me a comforting feeling :)

Crispy pork knuckle (Schweinshaxe)


For dessert, mom and I chose:

Home-made warm Apple Strudel with vanilla sauce - Rp. 50.000
Hausgemachter Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesosse
The apple strudel didn't meet the expectation especially when you already used to eat the original apple strudel in Germany where it doesn't taste with an excess of sweetness and the grated apple still has a nice fresh sour flavor. The Paulaner's apple strudel was actually pretty aromatic from the cinnamon and the pastry was light yet firm but again, the filling was cloying and got overwhelmed raisins inside it. When the waitress came and asked how's the food, my mom and I told her that we were quite disappointed with the apple strudel. Later on, I found out that the chef for the pastry and bakery here is from Australia. Oh... No wonder...

All prices are subject to 10% service charge and 10% government tax

Current currency:
1 USD = Rp. 9.100

Location:
Paulaner Bräuhaus Jakarta
Jl. MH. Thamrin No. 1
Central Jakarta
Tel: 2358 3871

Opening Hours:
Monday-Thursay: 11.30am - 0.30am
Friday/Saturday: 11.30am - 01.30am
Sunday: 11.30am - 0.30am

Related post:

Disclaimer:The review and opinion expressed here are purely according to my personal taste. There's a possibility that the taste of the food might change later on, which could affect the review and opinion here. I also affirm that no monetary or non-monetary compensation has been received from this restaurant for writing this review.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what time did you visit the restaurant? Everytime I went there, it seems like it's always full of people, it's nice to actually see the interior when it's empty and clean like your picture :)

    I agree about the apple strudle, I love Paulaner's food but not their desserts :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. pinkcherry: I was there during lunch time on a Saturday and wasn't crowded at all ;)
    I heard that the apple strudel actually is the most favorite for their dessert but too bad, it's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, i really feel like some pork knuckle and BEER now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. cumi & ciki: Hopefully when you come to visit Jakarta again, you can visit Paulaner and the beer is already served :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, A belated Birthday Wish to your mom!!! Now, I must say, Selba, I too would choose that Home-made Apple Strudel with Vanilla Sauce. Mmmmm.....good...I bet:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. louise: Thanks for the belated birthday wish, Louise. No.. the apple strudel was not good at all, it was a disappointment for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the platter looks meaty and gorgeous. I've been wondering about it for sometimes, hearing mixed rumors from friends and family about how good it is. Well, your post really helps me ease my curiosity for this place! Maybe I'll have to try it there soon. :)

    Best Regard,
    Prawnche | FoodVenturer.me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll go ther specialy for their signatures Scheweineshaxe......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the portion is too big for the platter I remember there are 3 of us and we can't finish them, but now they have the smaller plate for one person.. I love the knuckles so much and the sausages.. next week I want to try the beer.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs